Best EFI Choice? (GM, EECIV, Mopar)

David Cooley n5xmt at bellsouth.net
Mon Oct 4 18:54:18 GMT 1999

At 01:40 PM 10/4/1999 -0500, you wrote:
>Group,
>I am just starting out to convert some older motors (Ford 302, 460 for
>now, but have 454 Chev and 390 AMC planned later, all in various states
>of street/strip tune) and am looking for choosing a system to
>"standardize"  my investment of hardware, software and "education".
>Would anyone offer pros and cons for the major systems in wrecking yard
>availability.
>Is there any internet sources that consider the merits of one system
>over another for a hot rodder?  Some items I believe important in
>choosing are (order may vary):  1. loop processing speeds, 2.
>"tunability" (should include backyard build it yourself kits or modules
>for processors), 3. Software decoding, the understanding of control
>locations for many years of availability. 4. Costs of external tuning,
>software and adapters for making processor modifications.
>Any suggestions welcome,

jay,
There are quite a few internet sites that have tuning infofor both the Ford
EEC-IV and the GM computers...  I think as far as performance potential and
tuneability, either one would do.
The biggest stumbling block will be sensor compatability...  On the ford
motor, if you run the GM computer, you may have to fabricate adapters and
trigger rings for crank sensors, or if it's in a distributor, adapt a GM
distributor to the ford motor for ignition module compatibility and
vice-versa.  Might want to look at availability of sensors etc before
deciding on the computer.

David Cooley N5XMT Internet: N5XMT at bellsouth.net
Packet: N5XMT at KQ4LO.#INT.NC.USA.NA T.A.P.R. Member #7068
We are Borg... Prepare to be assimilated!