Turbo LT-1

Shannen Durphey shannen at grolen.com
Thu Oct 7 05:14:27 GMT 1999

Luke Joseph wrote:

> I have seen several postings mentioning  turbo & twin turbo LT-1's.  I have
> always assumed that what people do with a 3.8 V6 could be done better and
> faster with a 5.7 V8.      I would be interested in the level of
> modification required to an LT-1 "system" in order to get my Monte SS (LT-1)
> into the 10 to 11 ET 1/4 mile times, by way of tubos that is.  This would
> make me feel better about not coughing up the extra money back in 88 to buy
> the GN instead of the Monte.  Any input will be appreciated.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Luke
Just curious here, when we talk LT1 are we talking 1992 and up reverse
coolant flow engine or 1970's vintage lumpy cam forged everything
legend?  Never hurts to know fer sure what's going on.

Late "powdered" rods seem to be funny things.  GM likes to say they're
stronger than "pink" rods.  Guys building strong engines say they
break when they let go, no questions asked.  I'd enjoy a boosted
engine more if I knew it had good rods in it.  Calloway was selling
take out rods and cranks awhile back, maybe their web site will give
some details about what they put into the turbo Vette engines.

Shannen