Turbo LT-1

Roger Heflin rah at horizon.hit.net
Thu Oct 7 21:50:24 GMT 1999

On Wed, 6 Oct 1999, Luke Joseph wrote:

> I have seen several postings mentioning  turbo & twin turbo LT-1's.  I have
> always assumed that what people do with a 3.8 V6 could be done better and
> faster with a 5.7 V8.      I would be interested in the level of
> modification required to an LT-1 "system" in order to get my Monte SS (LT-1)
> into the 10 to 11 ET 1/4 mile times, by way of tubos that is.  This would
> make me feel better about not coughing up the extra money back in 88 to buy
> the GN instead of the Monte.  Any input will be appreciated.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Luke

Where did the LT1 you have come from?

I have seen f-bodies with modifed LT-1 engines run right at 11.5-12.1
given only top end work (stock bottom end) and open headers.  This is
with a different cam/ported heads/ported intake/headers, probably
about $3000-$4000 of parts.

Tuned correctly with a blower or NO2 has gotten some into the high
10's when the can get traction if the engine holds together.  With a
rebuild the displacement can be boosted to 396.

I am runnings 12.5 with alot of tuning still needing to be done.  My
top end is good, my lower end power is somewhat weak.

			Roger