Turbo LT-1

ECMnut at aol.com ECMnut at aol.com
Fri Oct 8 05:31:22 GMT 1999

Don't under estimate the potential of an LT1 for turbo apps.
A guy that lived a street away from me in the 70's had a 68
Camaro bracket car with a 350 that was a mid 11 second car.
He had a basic 12 to 1 SBC 350.  He bought two off-the-shelf
rayjays (S3s?) and made some manifolds.  He assembled a truck shortblock with
TRW blower pistons, and a hydraulic crane
fireball cam.  He put his good heads on it and it was ready..
This was back in the carb days and it was
a non-intercooled app that was turning high nines within
2 months of putting it together..  It was far cruder than
what's out there today.   I went with him the first
 day out, and saw a 10.85..  So, let's see, with EFI, intercoolers,
much more efficient turbos, that car in 1999 would be more than
a *little* faster.  Besides, look at the main bearing webs on
a Buick, then on a SBC..  The meat is there with the chev.
Don't get me wrong, I love Turbo Buicks, but don't sell
other combinations short, because they were never mass
produced, allowing them to reach thousands of eager fanglers
waiting to improve a good thing..   Let's face it, people have
 been de-bugging the Buicks for a number of years.
Take the technology that is in the Buick; EFI, intercooler,
turbo, etc and apply it to 50% more displacement and then tell
 me that it won't keep up..(?)   Just food for though..
Mike V