No CEL or scanner communication

Cameano at aol.com Cameano at aol.com
Wed Oct 13 21:00:14 GMT 1999

Hi, all,  my name is Darren Pferdehirt, I'm new to the list, although I was
subscribed about a year ago for a couple of months.  I've come back seeking
some help with a friend's car.  It's an 89 Pontiac Firebird, 2.8l PFI, manual
trans, a/c car.  The car was running fine until this last Sunday.  It was
shut off, and a couple of hours later, when he went to restart it, it
wouldn't start.  I took a look at it, and determined that it wasn't getting
any fuel.  So I went to hook up my Snap-On MT2500 scanner, but when I hook
up, and turn on the key, it won't communicate with the ecm.  Also, there is
no Check Engine Light, but I've pulled the dash and verified that the light
is in fact good.

Not having a good reference manual on this car, I went to Alldatadiy.com and
subscribed for this car.  From the info I've gotten off the site, the only
problem I can find is the ckt 340 (fuel pump oil pressure switch) is open.
Tracing the circuit, I see that it leads back around to the fuel pump signal
terminal on the ecm.  Is this a good indication that the ecm all of a sudden
just took a dump?  One note, when I had the scanner hooked up the first
couple of times, the car would start, but it was in "limp home mode", very
rich, poor running.  As soon as I would unhook the scanner from the aldl, it
would die, due to the fuel pump shutting down.  Now, it won't even to this.

I do have another ecm from an 85 Firebird, with the 2.8 PFI, but auto trans.
I've tried swapping ecms with the same results, also swapping PROMs between
ecms and trying both, with the same results.

Anyone have any suggestions?  I'm at a loss here.

Thanks in advance,

Darren Pferdehirt
Waipahu, HI