Dummy Sensors / Testing

Bob Valentine bob at tecmark.com
Sat Oct 16 02:40:57 GMT 1999

I'm planning on doing a bench mockup of my system this weekend, along with
building a 555 VATS bypass (I've read the notes in the archives), but a few
questions before I get too far under way.   I'm hoping to get to the point
I can at least get it to kick the fuel pump, spin the distributor and get
the injectors to fire.  I've never had this ECM (165) running in a car, so
this sort of a basic life test.

1.  VATS bypass - is the signal "full wave", eg +2.5 / 0 / -2.5 ?

2.  What's the easiest way to verify that the ECM is "alive" and that I've
bypassed the VATS?

3.  I have a full engine sensor compliment, but none of the emissions
solenoids.  Will the ECM (for now) ignore these, or do I need to present
some sort of dummy load to it?

4.  On a '89 Firebird TPI schematic I have, the VSS input ("Speed Input")
is shown going to a "VSS Buffer".  What's this?

If anyone's curious as to how I mounted the TPI throttle body to the
intake, pictures are here ->  http://www.liii.com/~ravalent/tpi/

The solid plate below the TPI has been drilled - got a gasket for template
today.

--> Bob Valentine
--> bob at tecmark.com