LT1 LOW FUEL PRESSURE

David Cooley n5xmt at bellsouth.net
Thu Oct 21 16:44:46 GMT 1999

At 11:35 AM 10/21/1999 -0400, you wrote:
>I finally had a chance to check the fuel pressure and  start the car after
>fixing the hose in sending unit and she ran like a top.  It almost seems to
>good to be true.  It has been raining so I had very little traction but that
>LT1 feels a lot better than that old 305.  I still have a couple of dozen
>little things to do including the VSS/speedo.  I plan on doing a search on
>the archives for info but, can any one tell me how the ECM decides to shift
>gears and what, weight, gear ratios and tire size has to do with it.  Also
>since the tranny(4L60E) is digitally controlled is it possible to have a
>manually activated tranny from buttons on the steering wheel. Kind of a poor
>mans version of the system used on indy cars.

Well,
The ECM shifts by TPS, RPM, LV8 and MPH (And I'm sure Temp has something to
do with it as well...)
It can vary Line pressure along with when it activates the shift
solenoids.  I also believe the 1-2 shift will occur with no ECM input to
the trans when the Governor in the trans is activated.
I believe it only has 2 shift solenoids, and combinations (binary... 0,0
0,1 1,0 1,1) determine the gear, but the shifter position also controls the
range selector valve just like a normal non-electronic trans. (That's why
reverse works... No reverse solenoid).
You could probably build a box to supply signals to the trans and make it
shift on command, but do you really want to have to steer with one hand and
punch puttons with the other while driving?
David Cooley N5XMT Internet: N5XMT at bellsouth.net
Packet: N5XMT at KQ4LO.#INT.NC.USA.NA T.A.P.R. Member #7068
We are Borg... Prepare to be assimilated!