'88 Camaro (TBI) won't start/will start, need help

Todorovic todorovic at home.com
Sun Oct 24 21:32:41 GMT 1999

My friend has a '88 IROC with a L03 TBI motor and auto trans.  It used to be
that it wouldn't start once a month, crank like an idiot and then lights
after a while.  Lately, problem once a week, no start, sometimes tow home.
Past few days, problem every day PLUS it cuts out driving and then dead,
tow.  SO, we tried putting some fuel down the throttle body and no
start/catch.  The injectors are NOT spaying fuel at all.

I have a '88 TA with a L03 TBI (as I am sure you guys know)....so I parked
it beside his, disconnected my distributor (so it won't start), removed my
air-cleaner and looked.  When I crank my car, injectors spay fuel like nuts,
his, nothing....so what could this be.  ECM.  He replaced the fuel pump
(died recently) (It has
pressure), fuel filter, has spark, but still NOTHING.  THEN, after an hour
or so, just starts.  Runs, a little later, stalls and dies.  Computers says
nothing (no faulty code flashes but 12 does indicating diagnostic mode).  I
also noticed that when you
disconnect his battery (to reset ECM), when you later connect it, no
"click".  Also, re-setting the ECM does nothing.  He took it to a shop and
they couldn't figure it out.  So basically, he is SCREWED unless we figure
it out.  Car seems to run fine WHEN it runs.  ANY help is needed.
Basically, the shop said either injectors OR injector control OR wires.
BUT, both injectors give nothing.  Could it be the ECM.  This would be my
guess.  However, it's just a guess. Unless the fuel-pump is not working
properly sometimes for some
reason.  There is fuel pressure, though.  He had this problem before but not
bad so he didn't care.  Now it's going nuts.  Also, he replaced the
Alternator (was dead), cleaned all he battery connections, replaced plugs,
cap, rotor, air-filter, IAC valve, etc.  No help.  Thanks.  Igor.