Successful 165 read and dump - mode 4, programmer, and eraser questions

steve ravet sravet at arm.com
Mon Oct 25 03:19:32 GMT 1999

Craig Moates wrote:

> Folks,
>
> Thanks to many of you, I've been very successful in assembling the hardware
> (MAX232) and writing the software (QuickBasic) to read all the 8192 ALDL
> data from my 1987 305 TPI '165 (EPROM ACXS) system. I'm very happy with the

Good work!

> erase EPROMs, would a blacklight be effective or do I need an eraser
> specifically designed for the task? I've never erased an EPROM before. Does
> it need to be given voltage during the erasure? Again, feedback sought.

No voltage during erasing, just plenty of UV light.  A blacklight isn't
much more effective than just daylight for erasing EPROMS.  Basically
anything that won't do real damage to your eyes also won't erase
EPROMS.  Digikey has the DATARASE II with timer for $50.  Get the one
with the timer, because if you forget and leave your chip under UV for
days you'll shorten it's life.

--steve

--
Steve Ravet