Low temp thermostat

CSH-HQ nacelp at jvlnet.com
Tue Oct 26 12:33:38 GMT 1999

It richens the mixture.
Sometimes disables EGR.
Could possibly even effect closed loop if cold enough.
Could effect TCC if cold enough

Down sides:
Poor cylindr head clamping.
Running excessive bearing clearance
Running excessive piston skirt clearance

IMHO it's a cheap + dirty way to "feel" faster.  In some back to back
testing when optimized for AFR, I found no difference, and since I care
about the engine I went to 190.

For every day use, I use a 190..
I still haven't seen a good reason for a 160/140 thermostat, period.
Other than it feels faster, or someone who did this without trying to
optimize the AFR first.

Like some guys swear about using them, but ignore the EGR temp of 170, and
say 160 themostats are the only way to go. No one that I know set the egr
enalbe to 230 with a 190 thermostat and tried it.

Not talking about racing, or theory.
Grumpy