Low temp thermostat

David Cooley n5xmt at bellsouth.net
Tue Oct 26 13:55:52 GMT 1999

At 10:07 PM 10/26/1999 +1000, you wrote:
>Guys
>Quote from Jeff Hartmans book on FI
>"Typically a first stage prom might work well with a low restriction air
>filter, a low temperature thermostat"
>Question:
>what advantage is the low temp thermostat ?

In theory, it is bad... excessive engine wear, lower efficiency etc...
In reality, due to the lower operating temp of the engine, the underhood
air is heated less, intake charge is cooler and denser, and the computer
runs slightly richer from the cooler temp.
If the fuel cal was PROPERLY done for max power, a 210-220 thermostat would
be the ideal temp. (Assuming the intake was 100% isolated from all coolant
related heat so air entering the combustion chamber was at ambient temp)

David Cooley N5XMT Internet: N5XMT at bellsouth.net
Packet: N5XMT at KQ4LO.#INT.NC.USA.NA T.A.P.R. Member #7068
We are Borg... Prepare to be assimilated!