Dead driver on '165?

Bob Valentine bob at tecmark.com
Wed Oct 27 01:06:34 GMT 1999

Here's what I've got, and I'm suspecting either the injector drivers or
something else is fried in this ECM.  Note that I never actually ran it in
a car.  I've checked most of the sources for a schematic of the '165 and
haven't found any.  Is there one?  Again, this is '165 / ABYA (88 350 Camaro)

My "test bench" consists of the ECM, all non-emissions related sensors
(except for VSS) and all 8 injectors (note I'm using Ford injectors which
tested ok on my 555 injector cleaner/tester).   I have the dist. hooked to
a variable speed motor, I've been "cranking" the motor at about 100-300 rpm
(dist speed) which corrolates to about 200-600 crank rpm.    MAF is hooked
up, park/neutral line is tied +12, FP is also hooked up.  TPS is set a .5v

On "cranking" the FP comes on and stays on until "cranking" stops.   IAC
motor can be heard exercising slightly.   The injectors never fire, not
even once.  Swapped in a noid light, it doesn't come on either.   I have a
555 VATS eliminator tied to pin B6, I've tried frequencies ranging from
about 20 to 40 hz (as determined by my o-scope).   With or without the VATS
makes no difference in the operation below.

Everything seems fine except for the fact that the injectors don't fire.
The check-engine light (no scanner / aldl reader yet...) turns off
momemtarily while cranking, then comes back on.    ECM is setting a code
34;  low MAF reading. This is to be expected since there's no airflow....
;^>  I've checked for power at all sensors and the MAF - it's there and good.

The only other thing is that the main heatsink in the ECM gets fairly warm
after about 10-15 minutes of power applied.   Is this normal?

So are the injector drivers bad, or is there still something with the VATS?

--> Bob Valentine
--> bob at tecmark.com