Low temp thermostat

Tyler Townsley ttownsley at sprynet.com
Tue Oct 26 19:10:49 GMT 1999

 The point here is just where is the max HP operational range, the
testing included changing the chip programming to get the best HP/water
temp results.  If you want to run an engine at 220 degrees down 30 HP
from running it at 170 deg and forgo the advantages of  an additional 30
hp I gain from a thermostat change and chip recalibration its your
choice.  I agree the only thing the dyno proved is what water temp
produced the best HP for that chip but it was the best HP they could get
period and included over 100 dyno runs and at least 25 different chip
profiles.  The question I later asked of the engineers (both of whom
worked for Lotus on the LT 5 design) who designed and tested the engine
was at what temp ranges did the motor give best HP given an OPTIMAL chip
program.  They had done extensive dyno testing and saw the best results
when everything was OPTIMIZED to run 160-165 deg water temp. (which
agreed with what my friend found in his testing) however Emissions
testing and certification dictated a hotter water (engine) temp in order
to pass the tests (an LT 5 motor water pump will pump 100 gpm @ 6500
rpm, Lotus believes in being able to COOL an engine).  I have a friend
on the west coat running a 415 ci version of the motor with custom ecm,
cams, chip programming, electric water pump and he stages the car with
water temps in the 160 degree range for best et (in the low 9s) and sees
175 to 180 degrees water temp in the traps.
Since we are talking about people who are trying to optimize a
particular heat pump it would be of interest to everyone to know at just
what temp that pump gets the best HP given optimal conditions. A blanket
statement that this temp is 159 or 220 or 190 does an injustice to all.
It is obvious to all that you have an experts knowledge of what is going
on here but there are three temperatures that are critical to an engine
for hp, water, oil and inlet air.  So if an engine can have an under
hood water temp range that optimizes these one would set chip
programming to take advantage of this range.  It may be that the LT-5
motor sees 190 deg oil temp 130 deg inlet temp at 159 deg water temp and
this is the best balance that can be attained in a C 4 body style.  I
believe that this is a thought process that should be a part of any
effort to design a system for a given engine.
In summary if you have an LT 5 engine in a C 4 body style and I have an
LT 5 engine in a C 4 body style and you insist on a water temp of 190
degrees and I use a water temp of 159 degrees I will always have more HP
on the ground than you.

Tyler Townsley

PS Will be off line for a few days got to go close my mothers apartment
after putting her in a nursing home.