Low temp thermostat

David Cooley n5xmt at bellsouth.net
Wed Oct 27 20:15:46 GMT 1999

At 02:07 PM 10/27/1999 -0500, you wrote:
>Funny how agreement goes.
>OK, all the NASCAR teams are wrong.
>BTW, I have tried to optimize fuel and spark curves so the following
>statemnt is wrong since you used the word all,

The only reason you can run more spark when you go to a cooler thermostat
is because the PCM/ECM richens the mixture for the cooler temps... Richer
charge, more resistant to detonation.  I think some people have a poor
grasp of ignition timing here... A specific motor with unlimited octane
will make max HP at some rpm with say 34 degrees total advance... more
drops power, less drops power.  You richen the mixture and advance timing,
what you've done is slowed the burn (rich mixture) and bandaided it by
advancing the timing... you're probably at less total power than you had at
the warmer temp/leaner mixture/less timing.

David Cooley N5XMT Internet: N5XMT at bellsouth.net
Packet: N5XMT at KQ4LO.#INT.NC.USA.NA T.A.P.R. Member #7068
We are Borg... Prepare to be assimilated!