Low temp thermostat

CSH-HQ nacelp at jvlnet.com
Thu Oct 28 00:10:47 GMT 1999

Properly tuned (note, the phrasing), an engine will live as long or longer,
and use less fuel in open loop, IMHO.
  I have to do some more actual work on this but intial reporting, from
programming 101 seem to support this.
  Closed loop is for maintaining a 14.7:1 AFR.  Which assumes several things
ie the formula for the fuel at hand is close to what is expected of it.
To keep the Catalytic converter hot enough to function.  There is more
detail in the archives about the rich len cycling of the AFR to keep the
converter working.
  Open loop or closed loop is a matter of tuner's preference.  Or for EPA
testing.  I'm not too sure where we'd be since I don't have a gas analyzer,
but I bet ya it could be clean enough for most applications.
  Higher operting temps. make radiator cooling an easy function, try 165 for
on temp., and 205 on a warm day.  THe on time for my car went from almost
never to always on.
  Grumpy