Low temp thermostat

rr RRauscher at nni.com
Thu Oct 28 00:30:24 GMT 1999

For some reason I feel like I'm in a hornets nest, but this has been
discussed before. Here is a quote from: The Chevrolet Racing Engine,
by Bill Jenkins, 1976, p17. (please read several times)

"Overall temperature control is important because heat means
horsepower. In our drag engines we like to see a water temp
of about 180 to 190 F and preferably the temp will be fairly
stable or equal around all the cylinders. At the time we launch
the car is is absolutely essential to build heat in the cylinders as
rapidly as possible. Naturally, you have to avoid boiling and
we believe that 200 to 205 F is about the peak temperature
point when leaving the starting line. This is with an all-iron
engine. If the engine material is alloy aluminum in the heads
or block the optimum temperature range is around 225 F.
The increase is necessary to compensate for the very rapid
dissipation of aluminum."

BobR.

Apologies in advance to Bruce for using his post. . .