Low temp thermostat

Bob Valentine bob at tecmark.com
Thu Oct 28 05:23:52 GMT 1999

>Andrew Choset wrote:
>> AS&M built them?  I had always heard that it was Mercury Marine that built
>> the LT5....
>>
>> Andrew Choset
>> 88 IROC L98 T56
>AS&M= firehawk
>MM= LT5

Amazing how Merc took GM sb/bbc's, fits them to boats where they don't live
very long, but they can build a different GM motor which runs great in a
land vehicle and GM contracts them to do it.

More fuel for the low temp 'stat issue:  most Mercrusier thermostats are
140 degree - and my temp guage usually shows something close to that, mabye
150 degrees since there's a unlimited supply of 55 degree cooling water.

If according to Jenkin's book the optimum temp is around 200 degrees, then
why didn't MM go higher?

I run a GMC 292 inline 6 in my boat, so it's not exactly a hotrod.   The
little simple as dirt 2bbl rochester never fails, so I've yet to consider EFI.