Low temp thermostat-Mercury Marine

EFISYSTEMS at aol.com EFISYSTEMS at aol.com
Thu Oct 28 17:48:17 GMT 1999

Hi,
      Since we're going to continue with this temp thread I might as well
throw in my two pesos worth.....The last Merc projects I did were the magnum
454,502 and 500hp(500hp 502) all of these had 180 degree thermostats in
them...(btw their calibrations suck, many times I found 16.5:1 to 18:1 holes
at part throttle) We were installing Supercharggers on them and found we had
to retard the timing 6 degrees to keep it out of knock on 92
octane......until we removed the thermostat then could go back to stock
timing,,,,engines ran approx 120 degrees,,,,intercooler water was at lake
temperature on all tests.  Now by no means do I think running an engine at
that temperature is optimium,,,,but, it is what worked in this environment
because of lack of octane.......I for one have had the slogan "Heat is
energy, energy is horsepower, if controlled" for many years......but true,
how many controlled environments do we have???? The real world is not a
laboratory.....I still have pesos if someone wants some.......<G>
-Carl Summers

In a message dated 10/27/99 10:28:40 PM Pacific Daylight Time,