questions about hacks

Squash realsquash at yahoo.com
Thu Oct 28 19:13:07 GMT 1999

> Hi Mike,
>
> >> To change individual bits,---Is this the binary
> converted from hex?  i.e.
> >> $6d=01101101 in binary so does this mean bit1 or
> b1=0, b2=1, b3=1 etc?

You've got it right with your understanding of the
bits.

For simplicity, i usually convert back and forth.  If
you get into the rhythm of changing them all the time,
you can simply add say 80 hex to change the first bit
to a one.  Or subtract 40 hex to change the second bit
to a zero.  But with this method you have to remember
what is what!  If you add 20H twice, you'll be adding
40H, which will change other bits, too.

This is why tools such as promedit, winbin, GMEPro,
etc are all handy.  I also find that QuickBASIC is
handy for stuff like this, too.

Squash

=====