tach adapter

Bob Valentine bob at tecmark.com
Thu Oct 28 21:27:55 GMT 1999

At 01:43 PM 10/29/99 -0600, you wrote:
>I have another project that I am working on for a friend.  He has a
>Toyoyta vehicle that had a 4 cyl engine that he dropped a v6 into.
>He wants to use the factory tach in the dash instead in getting a
>new one.  Does anybody have any ideas for a tach adapter to
>convert a 6 or 8 cyl signal to a 4 or 6 cyl tach?  I am hopping that I

I'm not sure about the Toy, but most factory tachs have some sort of a
jumper or wire on them to select the number of cylinders.   Some are pretty
hidden - I think it was a '79 Mustang I did and it was completely unmarked
- finally figured out that I had to cut & solder a trace.

Of course you could gut the exisiting tach and mount a aftermarket unit
behind it too.... I've seen that done on more than a few.

--> Bob Valentine
--> bob at tecmark.com