IAT placement

Matt S Bower m.s.bower at cummins.com
Fri Oct 29 13:19:10 GMT 1999

Jared Tschetter wrote:

> I would agree with grumpy, one of the 4gen f-body tricks is to move the iat
> further to the front of the air stream to keep it as far away from the heat
> soaked TB as possible.  The air might not be any cooler coming by, but if the
> sensor is hot already it might skew the results.
>
> Jared T.
>
> > Collective?
> > Some say the air ain't in the tract long enough to pick-up much heat.
> > I can see pre TB as fine, also, unless you like drag racing in heat soaked
> > conditions.  From the time I've had playing with the IAT, cold really made a
> > difference, ie AIR like <50dF.
> > Grumpy

Here at the diesel motor works thermal transfer and sediment on the
sensor screwing up measurements has always been a concern.  The sensors
I see around here a lot a an unshrouded thermistor to try to keep
response time a a minimum.  They then try to put it out on the intake
track to keep it out of contaminates.  The other trick it to measure
ambient air (especially at key on) to try to reference the sensor
against heat soak (ie if block is hot but air is cold then assume colder
for xtime).