Serial data hardware solution

Andrew K. Mattei amattei at mindspring.com
Sun Oct 31 01:21:26 GMT 1999

>Think I may have been misunderstood, I have built up a MAX232 interface to
>use with the PC, but I'm now playing around with an Atmel AVR, I don't want
>to convert to RS232 levels, just 1 line (GM) to 2 lines (AVR) all at 5V. I
>will go to the address Ken posted to see if this is what I'm after.

Hi Ross. If you go to the page Ken referenced (my page), you'll see the
schematic. If you remove the MAX232 interface from the diagram, and look at
only the transistor side - you'll see how this schematic accomplishes
combining transmit and receive in to a single bidirectional wire. Other
thing about this circuit is that the transistors perform a logical
inversion. If you don't need 'em inverted, remove the transistors nearest
the MAX232. ;)

HTH,

-Andrew