TBI cam duration

Todorovic todorovic at home.com
Sun Oct 31 03:22:37 GMT 1999

> Hi,
>      The largest I have done was 235/240 @.050" on 110 lobe center

That is too big for me.  I can imagine the idle on a SB Chevy with that cam.

......were
> you asking regarding a stock chip or modifying one???????hth's

Well, based on my budget, I have concluded the following:

Build a 355 short-block, late model, deck-mill heads to get almost 10:1 CR.
Port stock 350 late model heads, have them re-done with 300 lb springs and
pins in the rocker studs
Put that cam I mentioned (213/219 duration, 112/108 LC) roller, and add
headers & 3" pipe.  THEN, I though hook-up my stock 305 TBI ('88 L03), see
how the motor runs (if it idles, if it runs).  If it seems to run OK, then
add the Holley throttle body (for a 5.7 motor, 670 cfm) and see how that
goes. By this point I can drive the car and see some high-rpm pulls.  If
still not sattisfied (need to watch money buy this point not to go into
debt), add a Chip and see how that reacts.  Then, if all is well, add the
Edelbrock Intake.  I am not looking for much here, 280HP would be LOTS for
me and the EFI is nice.  I keep chaning my mind about this but I think I
will try it and see.  I know that the stock throttle body must go, at the
very least.

SO if it runs I will buy the Holley throttle body but if it's all over the
place, I don't want to spend the money.  If the motor finds it hard to idle
or operate normally, I will just yank the intake and EFI, put a Performer
for the late-style heads and a 600 Holley.  That way I gave the TBI a shot
and I will never wonder what could have been.  Many people shit at the TBI
systems but I like them.  Reliable, simple to use/modify and still offer
superior cold starts and economy then a carb.  I like that.  I hope it
works.