Traction Control & Racing

Pat Ford pford at qnx.com
Tue Sep 7 14:57:45 GMT 1999

Previously, you (Rich Vandervoort) wrote:
> <snip>

SNIP

> <snip>
>
> Traction control is actually about maximizing traction without upsetting the
> stability of the vehicle.  The traction control system ideally allows just
> enough tire slip to allow the tires to operate at the peak of the
> longitudinal Mu slip curve (usually between 15 and 20 percent).  The reason
> you shut off traction control for autocross, solo, ect. is that so you can
> alter the handling balance with the throttle.  All cars including race cars
> are set up to understeer,

 What the outlaws and other dirt racers and (most?) rally drivers would disagree
My tercel oversteers and I like it ( I had to put a stiff rear sway bar to do it)

understeer the drivers is scared
oversteer the passengers are scared

>by using the throttle on a rear drive car you can

 the production car is set up for understeer because the corrective measure is
instinctive turn the wheel more, great for unskilled drivers hell on performance

 I had a hard time teaching my wife to drive because I ALWAYs make my cars oversteer,
but she can handle an over cooked curve better then most now.

snip

Pat Ford                           email: pford at qnx.com
QNX Software Systems, Ltd.           WWW: http://www.qnx.com
(613) 591-0931      (voice)         mail: 175 Terrence Matthews
(613) 591-3579      (fax)                 Kanata, Ontario, Canada K2M 1W8