New problem vss

David Cooley n5xmt at bellsouth.net
Thu Sep 9 14:59:11 GMT 1999

At 10:08 AM 9/9/1999 -0400, you wrote:
>I now have a new problem.   I keep getting a 24 code- vss
>the ecm is a 165 with a 89 f body chip   My truck is an 85 but it had the
>vss for the cruise, optical type.  when did the camaro/firebirds go to a
>electronic speedo.
>The optical are square wave and the electric is what?

Mike,
They are all pretty much square wave, but there are different pulse
rates/mile and also some vehicles had a module between the VSS and the ECM
to buffer/modify the signal... Not sure what the F body used exactly, but
VSS isn't for an electronic speedo exclusively...  My 85 GN had a VSS for
MPH feedback to the ECM (And I think ALL GM's did since mid-80's).

David Cooley N5XMT Internet: N5XMT at bellsouth.net
Packet: N5XMT at KQ4LO.#INT.NC.USA.NA T.A.P.R. Member #7068
We are Borg... Prepare to be assimilated!