Vats bypassed!!

Jim Fitzgerald jfitz at fnal.gov
Fri Sep 10 14:55:21 GMT 1999

Mike,
In general an "open collector" circuit refers to an input that is already at
some non zero voltage with nothing connected to it.  It is usually "pulled
high" by an internal "pull up resistor" to a voltage source.  The actuating
signal must "sink"  or drain current out  to provide a signal.  A regular input
would have a terminating resistor to gnd, and be at 0v. The actuating signal
must then "source" a current.  The resistor in both cases determines the input
impedance, and how much current is needed, and what driver should be used.  TTL
circuits come both ways, just match the current sink or source capability.  The
transistor driver circuits can also be configured either way.