7747 Shift Points

Shannen Durphey shannen at grolen.com
Thu Sep 16 00:59:34 GMT 1999

88 Chevy did not use an electronically shifted trans.

If you look at the throttle body, on the driver's side you will see a
cable connected to the bottom of the linkage if it's 700R4 equipped.
If you have cruise there will be a total of three cables connected to
the tb (if my memory's still good).  This bottom cable helps determine
shift points. It works with or against fluid at various pressures
within the transmission to adjust shift timing and firmness.  The
simple answer is to adjust the cable (with a correct calibration
installed) and see what happens.  If this doesn't work, you'll need to
learn a little more about transmissions.

There was a thm400 option in that year, and you will know if this
trans is installed because it is a 3 speed auto.  Only D, 2, 1 on the
shift indicator.  Manual trans trucks have a shift light, which is
controlled with the same circuit used for tcc on a 700R4, or downshift
on the thm400.  So a manual trans cal in a 400 or a 400 cal in a 700R4
or some other mix-n-match combination will definitely show symptoms of
substance abuse.

Assuming the truck has a 305 means skipping a basic step, and from
this point out we might assume that you are just looking for free and
easy advice.  I assume you knew that...
Shannen