project update (MAF)

CSH-HQ nacelp at jvlnet.com
Fri Sep 24 17:15:17 GMT 1999

AH, intake tracts.  The infamous seat of the pants feels like 1,000 HP gain.
Some quotes:

Mike Pitts: saw a 30 HP gain going to maf from map on his GN (turbo)
Mark Romans: sees it as no lose of HP.

My notes:
tune by documented performance gains (timer)
Larger the plenum the less sensitive the MAF restriction seems, since there
apprears in some applications to min reversion, and better averraging of
high end readings, ie accel super ram to stock gm TPI.

Seems like american drivers like to have 90% of throtttle response in first
10% of throttle travel, hence any low speed airflow inprovement is a miracle.
If you use a decreasing radius pulley on the throttle shaft all this miracle
stuff easily shows too be nonsense.

If a plain tube can replace a MAF you should see a HP gain, NA.

On a blow threw I wouldn't expect to see much.

If large enough overall intake tract lenght is of little matter, ie 355 SBC
using dual 4" tubes.

Depending on what ya want to do might try syty code for 2 bar code.
Grumpy

 Sure 750 cfm is the limit of the "altered" MAF but