Operating temps

David Cooley n5xmt at bellsouth.net
Fri Sep 24 17:47:55 GMT 1999

At 12:18 PM 9/24/1999 -0500, you wrote:
> >The thermal expansion "thing" is great in theory--but that's where it ends.
>
>Have you done some serious back to back testing, to show otherwise?.

I had gotten into a conversation on the web with a guy that had done dyno
testing while playing with coolant temp... He said with optimized A/F
ratios and timing, his motors (small block chevy) made max power with
coolant at about 240 degrees F.  The problem he said with the real world,
is a cooler thermostat means cooler underhood temps and cooler, denser air
being drawn in to the engine...  He said if the intake could be thermally
isolated and only have ambient temp air coming in, then the lower temp
thermostat would actually lose power.
David Cooley N5XMT Internet: N5XMT at bellsouth.net
Packet: N5XMT at KQ4LO.#INT.NC.USA.NA T.A.P.R. Member #7068
We are Borg... Prepare to be assimilated!