project update...

Dave Zug dzug at delanet.com
Fri Sep 24 14:21:38 GMT 1999

My paxton SN-89 is stealthy quiet at idle and cruise but at WOT at
about 3500 rpm there is a telltale chirpy whistle. maybe I have a
little leak but it does make noise you can hear outside the car.
nothing like a vortech though.

the planetary balls are pinball sized bearings that produce about a
4:1 rpm ratio from belt to impeller. the impeller is mounted on the
center shaft that the balls surround and then surrounding the balls
is the shell thats spun by the pully. for each inch of travel of the
outer shell the balls turn one inch and for every one inch of turn of
the inner shaft thats 4 x the number of degrees traveled. the idea is
that friction is your friend here.. if the bearings slip then you
lose boost.

On a side note.. Paxton used to sell what they called "traction
fluid" that I heard was just anti-foaming agent but I cannot find an
equivelant at any auto store.. nothing under friction modifyers or
anti-foaming formula or anything.. anyone have a clue here? the stuff
gives 2 more psi when the balls grip more.

> From:          "Jim Yeagley" <jimyeagley at stratos.net>
> To:            <gmecm at efi332.eng.ohio-state.edu>
> Subject:       Re: project update...
> Date:          Fri, 24 Sep 1999 08:42:52 -0400

> >The Paxtons I've seen all seemed
> > pretty quiet. I thought the Vortech would be too.
>
> John,
>
> It's noisier because the Vortech has a gear-driven impeller, but the
> Paxton's are driven by a "planetary ball" drive.  Don't know exactly what
> that is, but I guess they can use a different fluid to get more "grip" from
> the balls and get boost faster.  Sounds like friction and worn out parts to
> me.  At least with the Vortech you know for sure that the impeller is
> turning at x N engine speed!
>
> BTW, what's it on?
>
> Jim Yeagley
> 1996 Dodge Indy Ram