Operating temps

Mark Romans romans at pacbell.net
Sat Sep 25 04:50:47 GMT 1999

Actually Smokey's book  "Track Tech"  goes into some detail about coolant
temps.  Basically he says that running the higher temps makes more power on
less fuel and runs cleaner.  But that you must tune the engine to operate at
that temp with afr and timing, also it takes away any reserve cooling if you
are drafting or your radiator gets blocked.

I actually tried the cooler thermostat thing for a while.  The problem is
that with the ac on and ambient temps of 100+ degrees I couldn't keep the
car at the lower temps so I was fighting trying to tune the car to run right
at 160 deg F AND 220 deg F.  No can do.  Also keeping the coolant temp that
low prevents the oil from heating up enough to boil off contaminants and can
cause corrosion.  I put the car back to  195 deg thermostat and set the
timing and fuel to run at that temp.  I also put in a BE COOL radiator and
now it runs all the time between 185 and 210 (Max in traffic with ac on).
This is a tight enough span of operating temps so that I can optimize the
timing and fuel.

All this reminds me of the guys that are selling the Manifold air temp
relocation kits for the L98.  Look at the 165 hac from ECM guy and ask
yourself you much you are gaining,  answer NOTHING.  The L98 doesn't adjust
anything by manifold air temp. No timing adjustments, no fuel adjustments.

Just several years and hundreds of diacom and G-tech runs, not to mention
SAE findings.
Mark