Operating temps

David Cooley n5xmt at bellsouth.net
Tue Sep 28 13:08:11 GMT 1999

Actually, The 3.8L Even fire buick wasn't related to a V8 (Except maybe it
calculated to the displacement of a 305 if you added 2 on).  It was a fresh
design.  The Turbo blocks had the heavier deck surface, and the heads were
also a special casting.  The large open water port on the ends was webbed
to add strength, and the water jackets flowed much better than the NA v6 heads.
The oiling system on the Turbo V6 was also much enhanced over the NA
counterparts.  I added an oil pressure guage (mechanical) and plumbed it in
to the rear end of the main galley (ran a line from the block out the
bellhousing... it was a bear to get the trans in and out!) and I had 35PSI
at 750 RPM hot (Running 10W30) and at 2000 RPM was against the pressure
regulator at 65 PSI.
If Buick had used the Turbo Block/crank/heads on the NA apps, they would
have had a lot better luck!

David Cooley N5XMT Internet: N5XMT at bellsouth.net
Packet: N5XMT at KQ4LO.#INT.NC.USA.NA T.A.P.R. Member #7068
We are Borg... Prepare to be assimilated!