Temp sensor

Rudi Machilek Rudi at vnet.net
Thu Apr 20 00:44:13 GMT 2000

A 1/8" grounded junction thermocouple has a time constant of about 10-14
seconds.  Time constant (or response time) is defined as the time required
to reach 60% (or so) of an instantaneous temperature change. An exposed
butt-welded thermocouple is about the same, but much more fragile.  Smaller
diameter sheaths (1/32")are more fragile and respond much faster; but fast
is still measured in seconds.  Thermistors offer no advantage (especially in
mechanically stable mounts).

But all is not bleak.  The rate-of-change is still a valid measurement, even
if the temperature measurement is not accurate.

Look at these links from Omega for more info:

http://www.omega.com/temperature/Z/pdf/z051.pdf

http://www.omega.com/temperature/Z/pdf/z054-056.pdf

Thermistors can go to 600+ degrees C without damage.  I like thermocouples
for mechanically and environmentally tough applications.  Mount the
thermocouple in a fitting from Swagelok, Gyrolok, Parker..... to get the
pipe thread mounting.

/Rudi