Plug Reading

Len Sabatine sabatine at epix.net
Wed Aug 16 15:51:25 GMT 2000

  Yep , and  to that end , additive packages vary per fuel provider, add to
the art
  of reading spark plugs. Spec additive packages provide us with end
results of what
  they do to plug coloration, from what I've observed along the way. Some
blends
  tend to rapidly deposit the metallic component[ s ] on insulators,
tending to muddy
  the tune up in short order. Others don't color readily /easily , Fuel
itself is a variable
  in the tuning mix. Fuels dosed with  aromatics can look fat , when in
fact, may be
  a tad lean , as a variable. GM deals with these issues in calibrations as
well , it's a
  big variable producing vehicles that work anywhere under nearly any
conditions.
  Len