ECM Availability

Garfield Willis garwillis at msn.com
Mon Aug 21 17:33:40 GMT 2000

Okay, here's a hypothetical for y'all.

Spose we (theatrical 'we') used a GM ECM as a primary EFI controller
in an aircraft, along with some backup scheme, perhaps even a fully
redundant pair of ecms maybe, but at any rate, the scenario goes:
spose we have the GM ecm as the primary, plus some backup.

Next spose we have a failure of the ecm inflight, switch to backups
and divert to some airport for repairs. Now, here's the question. Are
things like a 730/747/et al controller available off-the-shelf at
dealers and even perhaps places like Napa, so one could be fetched,
the stock memcal popped out, and a spare "XA-special memcal" plugged
in, and off we go? I presume so, but I'd like to put it up for target
practice, sotaspeak. It'd be nice not to have to carry a complete ecm
spare, since the likelyhood of failure isn't really that great, AND
carrying a spare memcal takes next2nuthin in space, o'course.

I spose the other possibility is to also carry a spare MAP sensor,
another small item, but also readily available off-the-shelf. Mainly
wanna keep away from carrying any spares larger than the palm of your
hand.

So what's the sanity check on availability of these ecms in your
average US town?

TIA,
Gar