Haltech (the bad word)

Rex Weatherford rexweatherford at home.com
Fri Dec 29 15:33:54 GMT 2000

Please let me know if this needs to be sent to a different list or if there
is a better one for it. (DIY-EFI, etc..)

 For some of us that don't have a mask ID already reverse engineered...

 I'm going to ask a question and I know most won't like the word..  What
about the aftermarket ECU's like the Haltech?  Can I have that unit take
over the fuel and spark control, but leave the GM ECM there and wired up to
take care of the other things?  What kind of problems would I likely run
into?  I would think that I might end up with some BLM type codes (if there
are any) because the computer will loose the control to effect the spark and
fuel, but I would fool it into thinking that the injectors were still there
(resistors?)  I'm not sure on the spark portion of this problem..  I will
also loose the knock sensor from what I currently understand and would like
to create one of the KS lights that I have heard talked about so that I can
have that as a back up when tuning to catch a timing problem...

I have gotten some info from a person that did this and I am waiting on a
response from them for more details, but I wanted to get your feedback too!
I think you guys are the experts on the GM units and could probably think of
more problems that I might have then I can.  I have a time table for my ECM
changes and would like to get everything worked out by May so that I can
tune all June (or before)  I have a gathering to go to in late June and
would like to be running well...

 I'd like to talk off line with someone with experience with any aftermarket
units..
Sorry this is a bit off topic of GMECM's.  I really want to have a
customizable ECM, and for me an aftermarket unit might be a better financial
route since I don't already have all the hardware equipment that is required
for what I am trying to do now. (laptop, Diacom, chips, burner, eraser, mask
id, etc...)  Not to mention the dissasembly work etc...

Thanks and I appreciate all the help and knowledge that you guys have given
me!

Rex