Need a 7165 ECM

Ludis Langens ludis at cruzers.com
Fri Dec 1 22:13:29 GMT 2000

Bruce Plecan wrote:

> Strictly a rumor, but there is a *chip* (IC, or driver) change on the board,
> and the update(s) are cylider specific, there is a different number for the
> 4cyl S-10 variant.   That's why I mentioned the V-8 in my posting.

Hmmm.  I seem to remember pulling an '8259 out of an S10 a while back.
I yanked the MEMCAL, marked the ECM "1277165", and left it on the dash.
It was gone on my next trip to that yard.

You may have noticed a block of seven ECM numbers: 16198259 through
16198267.  (Does anyone know if there's a 16198261 and a 16198265?)  It
looks to me like sometime around 1994 GM decided to get rid of the few
remaining 122xxxx style service numbers.  The ECMs still in production
with these old style numbers got brand new 8 digit part numbers.  After
that point, any ECMs returned for repair got sent out with the new
numbers.  Or, perhaps the 161982xx numbers simply mean that they have
been tested to newer standards.

I've got a 16198262.  It's GM remanufactured.  I found it where a
1227730 should have been.  The chips numbers match a regular '7730.  The
chip date codes show that my '8262 is rather old.  So, I think it
started life as a '7730.

There are several versions of the MPU used in these P4 ECMs.  One
version appears to have twice the SRAM.  It could be that GM has used up
all their older MPUs.  So perhaps any ECM returned for repair gets the
newer MPU - and a new part number to show that it could be used in an
application that needs the extra RAM - not that there are any such applications.