Part 2: Reading Plugs, pistons, and valves (with Pics)

Bruce Plecan nacelp at bright.net
Sun Dec 3 00:20:08 GMT 2000

The color you call orange is normally referred to as beige / light brown,
normal with conventional gas.
See how there is no carbon (orange <g>) at the sides of the pistons?
That is where your gas washing the cylinder wall and removeing the oil film
the rings need to transfer teh heat off of them, and to prevent excessive
cylinder where
Trash them plugs, look how the side electrodes mask the spark from the
chamber (also explains all the timing the engine acts like it wants), poor
intial flame travel.
Like I said cheap ol autolites and read em often, maybe not all bit at least
some.
Saying 6+8 hard to get to isn't valid IMO, I had angle plug heads with the
Edelbrock TES, and even with my back could easily do them.
All the plugs are a tad rich.
Plugs do look to have the noses of the center electrode knocked off (had to
guage how much in these photos).
Down a little in fuel, good autolites, indexed .030-.032 gap and have fun.
If the Ignition system is up to the task.
Ultimate rear end, well matter of opinion <g>
remember my comment on knocking the corners off of the pistons?.  This shows
phase 1 on that happening.
Bruce