Part 2: Reading Plugs, pistons, and valves (with Pics)

Bruce Plecan nacelp at bright.net
Sun Dec 3 04:04:36 GMT 2000

Ignition is ignition.
You want a good spark to light the reaction.
That means energy.  Energy is both voltage and current.
Larger gap drives min voltage high, and drops the current (there is only x
amount of work available).
If you have to run a large plug gap to prevent fouling with EFI, you have a
problem.
Increasing the gap **can** drive the timing reguirement down (never found
over 2d, in that on a SBC).  Also, took .050" to get that.  I've never had a
hipo engine run well with a .060" gapped plug.
NOS follows all the normal rules.  No more no less.
Just gotta be all the sharper, and willing to buy more parts, if your
serious about adding HP.
Bruce
   Friends 55 bent a lower control arm with NOS, when it wheelied that hard
on the street, so yes I have a little clue about the stuff.   Just tend to
stay away from it since, if anyone comes up with a proper way to meter it in
that would be great.  I've looked at all available and have yet to see on I
like.  Maybe some one will get clever with an ecm to do it, ie use two
outputs from the ecm to do it right, ie CCP, and EGR