Part 2: Reading Plugs, pistons, and valves (with Pics)

Bruce Plecan nacelp at bright.net
Sun Dec 3 05:15:54 GMT 2000

> What I see is the thickest,blackest carbon is built up around the
> edges of the piston, except the area under the intake valves which is
> clean.

Relatively cool fuel keeps washing the carbon off

>  What I would think is that the combustion temps are lowest at
> the outside of the chamber.

Yep, you want the quench area *cool*, that is where detonation usually
starts.  Recation pretty well over by the time the flame gets out there.

> Between the low temps and the incoming
> fuel wash there's no chance for carbon to build up on some areas of
> the piston. In general the outside edges seem to have that
> "looser","flaky" carbon buildup while the insides have a sort of
> "glazed" or "cured" buildup.  Again, heat...
> Finding the why of low temps is the thing....
> Yeah, too much fuel.  Yeah, too cold t-stat.  Yeah, too cool intake
> charge.  Yeah, fuel issues.  Yeah, insufficient spark to ignite a good
> burn. Yeah, aluminum heads draw heat from the combustion chambers and
> they're cooler in the back than the front due to coolant circulation.
> Yeah, it all works together.  But what is the one thing that's doing
> it??

It's too rich for the combination of all those factors.
That why when changing thermostats, you need to retune things.
That's why you have to look at sooo many variables.
Like I've always said too often too cold of operating temp, too warm of
plug, and toss in a few degrees of timing error and things can look copa
setic.
You have to experiment.
You have to find out what is true, especially for your combo.
Rich cylinders?.  Or lean cylinders?.
Look at the SBC cooling system, it's a nightmare.  Even the reverse cool one
is 1/2 wrong.
Lower the operating temp even worsens it IMO, course I got too many opinions
THOU THERE ARE Some truths.
HTH
Bruce

majordomo at lists.diy-efi.org