Big thanks to all

timsiford at hushmail.com timsiford at hushmail.com
Mon Dec 4 03:47:21 GMT 2000

I just wanted to shout out a big thanks to everyone who has helped me regarding
the reading of my plugs, pistons, and chambers so far.  Your help is invaluable.
 THANKS!  I have been giving this some serious thought and I've been going
through all of my books and doing research on the web.  Basically, I am
building a plan of attack for reassembly and tuning.  So far, this is my
plan .... (chime in if you see something that you could comment on) ....

1) Go to a higher temp thermostat.  Currently running a 160.  Seems to me
that I could benefit from higher temps without losing any performance.
I am planning on a 180 deg thermostat.
2) Use a standard plug.  I'll be installing AC Delco plugs gapped at 0.040.
 I have a supercoil and an MSD ignition system.
3) New heated O2 sensor.  If I am running rich then I believe the O2 must
have something to do with it.  I am not (obviously) running around in OPEN
loop all the time.  The car spends the majority of its time in closed loop
so it seems to me that I must be running rich in closed loop also.  The
fact that it appears I am running rich in ALL cylinders adds to this theory.
4) Up the fuel pressure and raise the injector constant.  Theoretically
this should atomize the fuel more.  Any increase in atomization would have
to be a benefit at this point (not in terms of performance ... but in terms
of not pooling fuel).  It may or may not help.  But, I cannot see it hurting.
5) Decrease timing advance at WOT.  Was running a total of 42 degrees of
advance at WOT.  If the Bosch +4 plugs are masking the flame then the new
plugs won't need all of this advance.  Furthermore, given what I will be
doing in number 6 below ... I can get away with less advance.  Probably
start with 38 deg total advance and then work down from there.
6) Decrease fuel at WOT.  Probably start with an AFR of about 12.2 and then
slowly lean it out via checking the plugs and watching for knock.

That's pretty much it.  The only other concern that I have is why the intake
valves on my heads look wet.  If it was gas then it wouldn't be there anymore.
 Could be Oil ... but, I don't see the 'smoke at startup' symptom for bad
valve seals.  If it matters ... I am running Positive control valve seals
on the AFRs.

Tim