CPU's

Bob Wooten r71chevy at earthlink.net
Tue Dec 5 04:45:58 GMT 2000

Gents,

So let me see if i have this straight.  the BCC is not in the firmware,
though the prom ID is.  the prom ID has the detailed information specific
to the application & it can lead one to the BCC.  this is providing that
you have access to this information that will get you there?  it does not
appear that this is essential if you are going to change the calibration
because once you do both the BCC & the Prom ID are no longer valid (as far
as the General is concerned).  i am following that the letter portion of
the BCC was re-used & that the number was changed to keep it different from
others.

here is what i am not following, you said that the Mask byte (not two bits,
forgot the Basic EE from school), "might not have the same table layout".
so, this means that there really is not a simple rule here.  i was thinking
(assuming i suppose), that this being the truth would make it rather easy
to write stuff like Win Bin & Tuner Cat for that Mask byte.  it appears
not.

sounds to me like a simple two dimensional table (like i have) is not
allways going to tell the truth in this situation.  this sounds to me like
you have to know more about the entire application to be able to nail down
for sure what is what.  true?

so saying that one has a 7730, w/#8D, might or might not lead me to the
right tool to play with the calibration.  but if i were to say that it was
a 91 Vette, 5.7L, E-code, 7730, #8D, 5991 scan ID would get me there,
knowing that there could be more than one Prog p/n & more than one BCC,
which might or might not have the same last 4 digits.

right?

thanks guys.
Bob

--- Bob Wooten