tpi for an early jaguar

Tedscj at aol.com Tedscj at aol.com
Wed Dec 6 23:40:28 GMT 2000

In a message dated 12/6/00 12:52:38 AM Eastern Standard Time,
DianeS at speakeasy.org writes:

> Hello out there. I need some advice. I just re-joined the list here.
>
>  I finally purchased, a tpi system for my '72 xj6 that has a 350 chevy/700r4
>  and a 2:88 posi rear. the tpi is a '86 vintage. I thought I'd have the
>  injectors checked out/cleaned and take it apart slowly and have it cleaned
>  up. While I work on the problems below.
>
>  I know that I need to get an inline fuel pump. I know that holley makes
one.
>  Does anyone have a part number suggestion ? or any other suggestion than a
>  holley ?
>
>  also I am trying to resolve a tough problem with my return line design. I
>  have 2 tanks one in each rear fender. There isn't really a gas filler neck
>  to use for a return line. Neither are their fuel return lines natively in
my
>  series of xj6. Later year replacment tanks, without cleaning and all, will
>  cost me about $150 to $175 apiece. I'm desperately trying to think of some
>  other solution like a small tank in the back to plump the return line to
and
>  to pump fuel from. But I don't want to really experiment much at the tpi
>  fuel pressures, nor do I want to create a bomb. Can anyone think of any
>  other solution for this ?
>
>  thanks a lot, Diane Stowe

Hi,
I converted a '76 Jag Xj6 to FI.  Dealing with the dual tanks was not easy.
I ultimately converted them to a set up that was similar to the '80s FI XJ6s.
 I was reluctant to do this initially because it seemed overly complex.  But,
quite frankly, nothing else worked.  I could try to explain it, but you're
better off looking at one in person or at a good diagram in a manual.
Instead of using the FI fuel tank from a later Jag, I just used the original
intake pumps to supply the main FI pump in the trunk.  I used all the jag
brackets and electronic valves from an FI  XJ6 that I found in a junkyard.  I
would have used those tanks, too, but the Junk yard punched holes in the
bottoms to drain the fuel out!
I just used the vapor returns lines as the fuel return lines.  I had to use
electronic shut off valves to direct the fuel to the appropriate tank (like
the factory did, so one tank doesn't overflow).
If you need any advice or clarification, feel free to email me.
Ted