tpi for an early jaguar

Tedscj at aol.com Tedscj at aol.com
Fri Dec 8 03:12:14 GMT 2000

In a message dated 12/6/00 11:56:32 PM Eastern Standard Time,
DianeS at speakeasy.org writes:

> jc whitney sells a 6 port electric fuel transfer switch, which has inlets
>  for 2 tanks, an output, and it does the same function for fuel return so
you
>  would return fuel to the tank you are pumping from. It's about 60$
>  thereabouts.
>
>  Ted, did you have to have 3 fuel pumps in your xj6 ?

I saw the six-port valve, but I got the Jag valves for practically nothing
from the junkyard, Otherwise I would have bought it.  The six-port valve is
probably your best bet for simplicity's sake.  I used the fuel pump wiring to
activate the appropriate switches.  I ran the fuel return back to the
ventlines that are accessible in the trunk (underneath the side panels).
And yes, I had to use three fuel pumps.  The original gas tanks had submerged
fuel pumps.  Gravity and an FI pump alone will not pull the fuel out of the
tanks.  I needed to keep the original pumps to supply the FI pump.
BUT, I just realized that you a Series I XJ6, don't you?  I think that they
use fuel tanks that are very similar to the FI XJ6s.  There is one fuel pump
in the trunk that is gravity fed from very large fuel lines that come from
the bottom of the tanks (unlike my Series II tanks.)  That would make your
job very easy as all you need to do is replace your carb pump with an FI pump
and keep your original fuel lines and switch (from the tanks to the FI pump.)
Does your Series I have the vapor return lines in the trunk?
Ted