TPI for Chevy truck

Ludis Langens ludis at cruzers.com
Fri Dec 8 22:46:02 GMT 2000

Bob Valentine wrote:

> Just had a discussion about this with a "real" (it's his day job ;^)
> mechanic friend about how Ford does dual-tank EFI.   Some use a pump in
> each tank, then run the lines to a union.   There's a check ball in each
> pump  to prevent drainback into the non-running tank.
>
> I don't know how fuel return is handled.

The union you mention above receives the fuel from the two (low
pressure) in-tank pumps, combines it into one line which goes to the
frame mounted high pressure pump.  The return from the engine runs to
the union and then back to the two tanks.  On the big trucks, the union
has no electrical or mechanical hookups.  The return tank must be
selected according to which in-tank pump is providing pressure.  On a
dual-tank Ranger, the union contains electric solenoids.