strange check engine light

WEG1192 at aol.com WEG1192 at aol.com
Thu Dec 14 04:40:05 GMT 2000

I did check my soldering. I ohmed every MEMCAL pin back to the particular
chip pin and checked for cross shorts also. Everything checked good. Field
service mode is when you jumper ALDL A and B and the SES light flashes the O2
sensor status to you. Its a neat way to check for good closed loop operation
in that you can sort of watch your O2 counts. What I don't understand is why
the jumper gets rid of the problem cause the SES light goes out and the
engine runs fine until the next crank. My thoughts are that I damaged the
netres chip with heat and when the ECM checks the netres at startup, it sets
the code but field service mode somehow overrides the EPROM code. I've driven
over 500 miles with this chip like this, but I have to have that jumper handy
every time.     JW