vortec heads

ECMnut at aol.com ECMnut at aol.com
Sun Dec 17 02:55:19 GMT 2000

Yup. I totally agree.  Quench is critical.
I Have relatives that build/run NHRA super stock engines.
Both Chebbie & Mopar.  The tight quench area is a given
in their minds.  They spend time trying to make pistons
lighter, and doing litttle stuff with the ports.. The NHRA rules are
pretty strict with factory compression ratios, OEM port CC's etc.
Imagine shifting a steel rod 454 @ 8500+ rpm.
With turbos, I'm not in need light pistons, just durable ones.
What they get from RPM and .800 lift roller cams, I'll more
than make up for in boost and electronics.
MV.

> For SB Chevy, GM calls for .035 min piston to head clearance.
>  Linfenfelter calls for .040.
>  It's called "Quench" and according to Lingenfelter it squishes out
>  the air and fuel and the turbulence (And the it's so close fuel can't
>  detonate in the space) helps prevent detonation.
>  Mark

CR