vortec heads

Tim Welden twelden at evolving.com
Mon Dec 18 15:42:21 GMT 2000

I'm running the L31 vortecs on my 383 TPI engine,  For me, I ended up going
with KB -18cc dish piston, -.010 deck height, & .028 head gaskets.  This put
my quench height near .040 and the C/R at about 9.6:1 static.  I've only
been driving it a couple of weeks but so far no noticable detonation.  This
is in Denver so the 5K' in altitude I'm sure helps too.  I'm stll using a
stock '88 MAF chip & sensors.  Once the holidays wind down I hope to beging
tuning to see if I can optimize the setup but I'm really happy with the way
it runs so far -- no comparison to the stock L98.  Wish I had a dyno to see
what it was actualy putting out.

YMMV,
-Tim-