ECM interchangability?

Daniel Houlton houlster at user1.inficad.com
Sat Jul 1 21:51:42 GMT 2000

Sorry for this.  I realize this may be a very basic question,
but I just joined the list and the archives link on the web
pages doesn't work so I can't do any research there.

I'm looking at aquireing a GM 3.4l DOHC 60 deg V6.  I have
verified through various web pages that the 2.8, the 3.1 and
possibly the 3.4 SOHC use the 1227727 ECM, but that the 3.4
DOHC uses the 16149396 PCM (up until '94 at least).

It also says that these two are identical hardware wise except
for the addition of an SRAM chip on the PCM used in controlling
the transmission.

What I'm wondering is if the '727 could be used in controlling
the 3.4 DOHC instead of it's stock PCM.  I don't want or need
the transmission control in my application.  The real reason
though is that I want to be able to tune the ECM and I believe
(but haven't verified yet), that the Kalmaker software can be
used with the 1227727 ECM to modify / tune it, but likely not
with the 16149396 PCM the DOHC engine uses.

Would the '727 plug into the DOHC harness and work?  I'm
assuming it would since they are pretty much the same hardware
wise, but I don't know if the harness may be different.  Maybe
different pins connect to differnent things in different
applications?

Any info would be appreciated as well as links to other info
or FAQ's on the GM ECM's.  Also, I seem to recall a note on
the DIY_EFI list a couple weeks ago that the archives are up
somewhere.  Any chance the GMECM archives are up and the web
page just hasn't been updated yet?

thanks
--Dan
houlster at inficad.com