ECM interchangability?

Ludis Langens ludis at cruzers.com
Sun Jul 2 10:33:12 GMT 2000

Daniel Houlton wrote:

> I have
> verified through various web pages that the 2.8, the 3.1 and
> possibly the 3.4 SOHC use the 1227727 ECM, but that the 3.4
> DOHC uses the 16149396 PCM (up until '94 at least).

No such thing as a SOHC 3.4.  The only choices are the pushrod 3.4 or
the DOHC 3.4.

> It also says that these two are identical hardware wise except
> for the addition of an SRAM chip on the PCM used in controlling
> the transmission.

The extra SRAM doesn't directly have anything to do with the
transmission.  The ECM puts it's processor stack in that memory.

> I don't want or need
> the transmission control in my application.

There exist factory calibrations for the 3.4 DOHC with a manual
transmission using the 16149396 ECM.

> The real reason
> though is that I want to be able to tune the ECM and I believe
> (but haven't verified yet), that the Kalmaker software can be
> used with the 1227727 ECM to modify / tune it, but likely not
> with the 16149396 PCM the DOHC engine uses.

There are lots of different software versions for the 1227727.  Some
support a TBI 4-banger.  Others are for a port injected V8.  You need to
specify the software version running in the ECM.  For an incomplete list
of your choices, look here:

  http://www.cruzers.com/~ludis/idxref.html